Sunday 22 June 2008

Lars: hand drawn type queen

Lars stuns us again and again with her hand drawn type skills and quirky illustration style. We have featured her you, me, we t-shirt before on this blog and recently she took the top spot in the hand drawn typography competition with her 'hey pretty lady' tee.



I asked Lars if she would mind giving us some insight into what makes her tick and just how she became such a talented individual. Good news for us! She said yes!

Which of your tees are you most proud of?

“Prism Party”, I love pastel colours and I'm a fan of slightly nerdy mathematical things & also “Lost your pen?” because I just think its cute, and slightly sad, I feel the plain of it!

How long do you usually spend on a design?

Two hours at the most, it takes me awhile because I don’t have any nifty gadgets like a Wacom, I have to draw things up, scan, photoshop it, print it, then fix things… and so on, which gets frustrating, i tend to lose motivation half way through.

How do you motivate yourself?

As soon as I wake up I drink Chai Tea and It just wakes me up and makes me want to design and do all sorts of things, id say it gives me superpowers.

Were you a creative kid? If so, what’s your earliest creative memory?

Yeh, very creative, a lot more creative than I am now! I used to enter all the competitions in the Sunday Telegraph and goto Art Camps, I won so much stuff, the best thing I ever won was 100 boxes of The Simpsons Instant Macaroni, I can still taste it.

What creative skill would you most like to have?

I would love to be able to draw well, all my drawings are more like primary school scribbles rather than illustrations, so im thinking of taking some drawing classes

What’s your pet design/illustration hate?

Seeing people post “designs” that look like they were pasted together on paint. And these days im getting a bit tired of seeing polaroid inspired things, don’t get me wrong I love them, I have my own stash, but its become SO popular that in my eyes its lost its novelty and its sense of nostalgia.

If you could pick one person to have as a mentor, who would it be?

Reg Mombassa would be fun just because he is such an icon here in Australia, and he has a sense of humor in his art.

Any advice for aspiring illustrators or designers?

If you are having creative block... just do whatever first comes into your head, doesn’t matter if its silly. And everything around you can be inspiration!


Sounds like good advice to me. A big thanks to Lars for the chat. We can't wait to see more of her work on the bubble soon!